Thread: Q11521

Q11521

Hello,

Could explain how u work on Q11521 please,

regards

Good morning Maz,

Could you please copy the question, answer and "More Info" (if available) into here? I would love to help you, but I can't access the database at the moment.

Sincerely,
    Patrick van Harten
    Last edited by patrickvanharten; 03-02-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    ATPL(A) Student

Hello Patrick,

Please read the full question below

Using the attached image: or Performance Manual MRJT 1 Figure 4.24 Given the following data, determine the driftdown time, fuel burn and distance flown to clear the obstacle by the statutory minimum. FL 370 Mass 44,000 kg Engine Anti-Ice ON Wing Anti-Ice OFF Temp ISA -10C Obstacle 23,000’ amsl H/W 30 kts

Regards

Good morning Maz,

First off, sorry for the late reply. Had some very busy/exhausting days which didn't allow me to reply here.

If you don't have the CAP698, refer to this link and see if you can get some printouts. Go to figure 4.24 and follow the arrows.

1. Determine the equivalent gross mass; follow the separate graph, put your pencil on the ISA line (reference line) and follow that to the ISA-10 temperature, which should bring you to the very left of it where it says "-10 and below".
    2. Now, look at the table. Your equivalent gross mass is affected by anti icing and a/c off below 17000 ft. Our Engine Anti Ice is ON, so add 1,950 kg. Our Wing Anti Ice is OFF, so we don't have to add any mass for that.
    3. Go to the altitude of the obstacle (+ the clearance minimum, 1000' for non mountainous area, 2000' for mountainous area.
    4. Go to your (just determined) equivalent gross mass along the curved line, with a straight horizontal line. This gives you the fuel burn from engine failure.
    5. Go straight down, through the white area onto the 0 wind line. You have the time now, finally for the distance see step 6.
    6. Go along the curved lines to the wind component and draw straight down from there. 30 kt headwind, so go up and left until you hit the 30 then go straight down.

I hope this covers it for you, if not I can draw it into the graph hopefully before the weekend.

Sincerely,
    Patrick van Harten
    Last edited by patrickvanharten; 03-11-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    ATPL(A) Student

draw into the graph ?

hi
    can you draw it as i cano not figure it out ?

thank you

Pietro

Quote Originally Posted by patrickvanharten View Post
    Good morning Maz,

First off, sorry for the late reply. Had some very busy/exhausting days which didn't allow me to reply here.

If you don't have the CAP698, refer to this link and see if you can get some printouts. Go to figure 4.24 and follow the arrows.

1. Determine the equivalent gross mass; follow the separate graph, put your pencil on the ISA line (reference line) and follow that to the ISA-10 temperature, which should bring you to the very left of it where it says "-10 and below".
    2. Now, look at the table. Your equivalent gross mass is affected by anti icing and a/c off below 17000 ft. Our Engine Anti Ice is ON, so add 1,950 kg. Our Wing Anti Ice is OFF, so we don't have to add any mass for that.
    3. Go to the altitude of the obstacle (+ the clearance minimum, 1000' for non mountainous area, 2000' for mountainous area.
    4. Go to your (just determined) equivalent gross mass along the curved line, with a straight horizontal line. This gives you the fuel burn from engine failure.
    5. Go straight down, through the white area onto the 0 wind line. You have the time now, finally for the distance see step 6.
    6. Go along the curved lines to the wind component and draw straight down from there. 30 kt headwind, so go up and left until you hit the 30 then go straight down.

I hope this covers it for you, if not I can draw it into the graph hopefully before the weekend.

Sincerely,
    Patrick van Harten