Thread: Q 7183

Q 7183

At 40N 120W the forecast wind is:

Correct answer given by the system: 270

WHY??? I just see 340! Pls help!!

Thanks!

Administrator
    Hello ParadiseEagle,

So do I! I'll change it. Thanks for posting!

ATPLS

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ATPL Support View Post
    Hello ParadiseEagle,

So do I! I'll change it. Thanks for posting!

ATPLS
    Thanks a lot for the fix! Thought I was getting blind..!

Regards
    Johnny

Administrator
    Johnny,

No problem, can only thank you for taking the time to point it out to us. Lots of questions!

ATPLS

Quote Originally Posted by ParadiseEagle View Post
    At 40N 120W the forecast wind is:

Correct answer given by the system: 270

WHY??? I just see 340! Pls help!!

Thanks!
    ummm...... sorry guys but I'm afraid this time that the system was correct!!! if u look at the dotted lines of latitude and longitude (and therefore note the outline of the USA) they are not just straight left/right, up/down and also that they converge on true north (which is the case for upper wind charts). So since the wind vector is inline with the line of latitude (40N) it is in fact from 270 deg T which is confirmed by turning your head to the right so that the USA country outline is how it should be on a normal flat map which in turn will align the 120W line of longitude with True North!

Administrator
    ParadiseEagle, I owe you an apology......and
    Airbus333, I owe you a thank you! I fell into the question's trap I'm afraid (it must have been a long day that one!) and so thank A333 for correcting me.

The classic mistake to make is to look at the map and assume that it is orientated to North, which it is not. If you do this then you would naturally choose 340 as your answer whereas the wind vectors are to be read in relation to the lines of longitude which converge at North which is to the top right of the map. A333 is correct if you turn the map (your head) so that the line of longitude is indeed straight up then the vector is read as 270T.

Sorry for the confusion.

ATPLS

Quote Originally Posted by ATPL Support View Post
    ParadiseEagle, I owe you an apology......and
    Airbus333, I owe you a thank you! I fell into the question's trap I'm afraid (it must have been a long day that one!) and so thank A333 for correcting me.

The classic mistake to make is to look at the map and assume that it is orientated to North, which it is not. If you do this then you would naturally choose 340 as your answer whereas the wind vectors are to be read in relation to the lines of longitude which converge at North which is to the top right of the map. A333 is correct if you turn the map (your head) so that the line of longitude is indeed straight up then the vector is read as 270T.

Sorry for the confusion.

ATPLS

Your very welcome!!! I just have two questions as follows:

1) Met Q ref 6930, is it possible to get a full explanation of the calculation as the way I was taught to do the leeward sea level temperature calculations does not give the answer stated (18.5 C) but a different method does! Also this question seems quite ambiguous as it doesn't clearly state if the dew point temperature is at sea level or at the condensation level and it also doesn't specify what state the air is in when at sea level (i.e. dry or saturated, however one would infer from the T and DP that it would be dry at sea level)

2) I am taking my module 1 exams beginning of Feb and have been informed that they will be done electronically, not on paper! There are rumours that because of the electronic format, the question database for the exams has been substantially expanded! Does anyone at ATP Online know anything about this or can confirm that this will be the case?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Administrator
    Hi A333,

We have had no confirmation that he exams will be in electronic format in February but will make extra enquiries for you so that we are certain. This, however, should not affect the number of questions in the database.

I will get back to you on this post asap with an explanation for Q6930.

ATPLS