Thread: Question Query

Question Query

Dear Reader,

Im just sending you a quick e-mail to query a question on your question bank. Question number 10271 mentions "asymmetry of lift" but I can't seem to find this in any text book, nor does anyone at my flying school know what it means. Could you help?

Thanks

Harry Medina

I think it has to do with the wing vs horizontal stabiliser, how they differ in magnitude and, depending on the position of the c of g, direction.

Sincerely,
    Patrick van Harten.

EDIT:
    After a google search, it seems to have something to do with the blades. It means that the tip travels faster than the rest of the blade so creates more lift.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetry_of_lift

I can't personally help you out further, I study for aeroplanes. I hope it's been helpful, though.
    Last edited by patrickvanharten; 01-15-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Thank you for you reply Patrick, much appreciated..........

Quote Originally Posted by patrickvanharten View Post
    I think it has to do with the wing vs horizontal stabiliser, how they differ in magnitude and, depending on the position of the c of g, direction.

Sincerely,
    Patrick van Harten.

EDIT:
    After a google search, it seems to have something to do with the blades. It means that the tip travels faster than the rest of the blade so creates more lift.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetry_of_lift

I can't personally help you out further, I study for aeroplanes. I hope it's been helpful, though.

Administrator
    Hi Harry and Patrick,

Asymmetry of lift does indeed to refer to the fact that the rotor blades generate different 'amounts' of lift across the blade. As lift is related to speed, and each position of the blade travels at a different speed, it can be said that the tip of the blade generates more lift (as it is travelling faster) than the part of the blade nearest the hub (which is travelling comparatively more slowly).

ATPLS